New year,new lamp

When we visited with Nate and Sally in Utah this fall, Nate said he was looking for a lamp to use outdoors when cooks at his bbq station. I said I figured I could whip something up.  🙂 So over the past couple of weeks I started putting something together. I had an idea in my head that I had drawn out when we first got back to the island in November and that’s where I started.

wp-1484516606603.jpg
The original design. Final product was a bit shorter.

The base was going to be a gear I picked up at DEMXX and the rest was pretty much just a rough idea in my head. I cut some steel tubing for the main stem upper and some for the upper arm assembly and got to work. I had made the lamp shade a while ago so it was all ready to go.

wp-1484518075373.jpg
Pieces cut and ready to go

The main stem went together pretty much as I had figured out which was good. I used a piece of 1/2″ i.d. tubing for the upright and a piece for the cross piece. I got the main stem welded up and welded to the base and got an opening cut for passing the wiring through. I also drilled a hole through the cross piece at the back and tacked a nut on to use allow me to thread a 1/4 x 20 bolt through to work as a tensioner on the pivot shaft as I was planning on having the upper arm assembly height adjustable.

wp-1484516633020.jpg
Main stem assembly completed

I cut a piece of 1/2″ steel shaft from an old photo-copier to size to use as the pivot(I think it was for a photo-copier. It was a nice piece that my friend Fred was getting rid of.) and then tried to figure out what I was going to do about arms. Originally I thought I would make the upper arm assembly out of 3/8″ round stock but instead decided to go with some 1″ x 3/16 flat stock. I cut the flat stock to size and drilled a 1/2″ holes at one end of the arms. I set the assembly up , made sure everything was square and looked good and then welded the arms to the pivot by filling in the holes, ground down the welds and the arms were pretty darn secure. Another step finished and it was starting to look like a lamp.

Now I had to figure out how I was going to attach the shade assembly to the stand. I thought about it for a couple of days. Threw together a couple of options that just didn’t look right and then as I was in the middle of cleaning things up one day I kicked an old piece of chain (that I’m planning on turning into bottle openers) and thought it might work to mount the lamp to and look pretty cool. I cut a chunk of chain and welded the links together. After that I cut the welded chain section to length and welded on some tabs and drilled the tabs and arms to accept 1/4″x20 allen head bolts and used nylock nuts to cinch the mount to the arms. looked pretty good and functions nicely.

wp-1484516671539.jpg
Shade mount completed

With the lamp shade mount finished I cut a short piece of tubing to act as a standoff for the shade, welded that to the chain mount and test fit the whole assembly. Big thumbs up.

wp-1484516685631.jpg

On to the wiring. Not my favourite part but it is a lamp so I have to get it done, right? It’s a fiddly job that someone with a delicate touch and graceful hands would be great at. That is not me. I mean technically I can do it just fine but it’s not  a part of the job I look forward to. So I picked up the wire, lamp socket and toggle switch and got to work. I realized that I wanted the cord to run from the socket along one of the arms so I decided to weld a wire channel piece to one of the arms. I took a short piece of tubing and split it in half with the cutoff blade on my angle grinder, cleaned it up and welded it in place. Then I started running the wire. Through the base, up the stem along the arm to the shade and then was ready to wire the socket. After that I wired the socket and plug end then checked with my multimeter to make sure everything was okay. Plugged it in and voila, light!

The final step in the project was wiring in the toggle switch.  I cut a circle of 3/16″ plate and welded it to the base and drilled a hole for the toggle switch. I wired in the switch, installed it in the plate, coated the wire connections with liquid electrical tape to waterproof them and we were done. I do need to get a rubber cover for the toggle switch but other than that it is complete.

wp-1484516726081.jpg

Now my first project of 2017 is complete. Woohoo!! It’s warming up here so I think I’m going to start thinking about getting Mike’s forged coat rack on the go. And I have a couple of side tables to make. And I have to work on practicing my TIG welding for a couple of arty pieces I want to do.  And I’m in the process of working out how I’m going to solar power my new work shed. I want to be able to run lights and power tools without hooking up to the house power. Not to mention the new retaining wall that we need to get up.  and tearing out the upstairs shower so we can get it tiled. Hmm I guess I’m going to be busy for a while..

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. mikeazariah says:

    Nice work, bud.

    m

    Like

    1. bobdobqb says:

      Thanks pal! Got my creative juices flowing now 😉

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s